Naming A Guardian For Minor Children

Home / Blog / Naming A Guardian For Minor Children

Anyone who has a minor child should create a document in which they name a Guardian for the child in case something happens to the parent(s). For most people, this nomination is found in their will, but it doesn’t necessarily have to be in the will. The guardian nomination can be stated in a separate document. If something happens to the parent, the document will give the court strong evidence of who the parent intended to be the guardian for the child. Think about it…if something happens to you and your spouse, do you really want your irresponsible spendthrift sister-in-law to be a guardianship candidate for your children? If not, then you need to memorialize who you are choosing…it’s a relatively simple process and while it’s certainly not a full estate plan, it at least tackles a major issue for your children if something happens to you.